The Southern Ohio PGA is saddened to learn of the passing of 2018 Southern Ohio PGA Hall of Fame Inductee, Mr. Paul Thomas, PGA.
Paul became a PGA member in 1956 and spent the majority of his career serving the members of Zanesville CC in Zanesville, OH. He served on various committees and notably started the Zanesville District Golf Association so that players would have championships to compete in.
Paul had an illustrious playing career with many highlights:
- Winner, Columbus Chapter Championship – twice
- Southern Ohio PGA Player of the Year – twice
- Queen City Open Champion – 65
- Southern Ohio PGA Assistant Professional Champion – twice
- Won many of Pro Ams held in chapter
- 1985, 1986 – Southern Ohio PGA Senior Section Champion
- 1998 National Quarter Century Championship (Florida)
- Qualified – 3 National PGA Championships
- Qualified – 1962 US Open (Oakmont CC)
- Qualified – Senior PGA Championships
- Qualified – 3 USGA Senior Opens
Made cut in all Hazeltine, 1983, finished high enough to be exempt following year at Oak Hill in NY, missed being exempt the following year by 3 putting the last three greens, qualified and made the cut at Medina in Chicago
- 13-career Hole-in-Ones
Thomas is a member of the Zanesville DGA Hall of Fame (’01) and was the longest serving PGA Member in the Southern Ohio PGA, having been a member for more than 64 years.
As more details become available about a possible celebration of life, they will be shared here. (Monday, February 8, 2021)