The game of golf in Southern Ohio has changed since the founding of the Southern Ohio PGA in 1946. The Southern Ohio Section was initially associated with a collection of mid-western states designated as the PGA’s “Middle Section,” one of the Association’s original sections formed in 1916.
In 1921, the Ohio PGA was established and then divided in half with the founding of the Southern Ohio section in 1946. Minutes from January 11, 1946 report that the first SOPGA officers included Tom Bryant of Moraine Country Club as president and Gene Marchi, Miami Valley Country Club as Secretary-Treasurer. Other board members included Charles Lorms of Columbus Country Club, Steve Zappe of Springfield Country Club, and Art Smith of Hyde Park Country Club. The Southern Ohio section had its first spring meeting on April 8, 1946 at Crest Hills Country Club.
Today, the Southern Ohio PGA includes more than 450 members and apprentices promoting golf in the southern portion of the state. The Northern Ohio PGA is based out of Warrensville Heights, Ohio.
For 70 years, the golf professionals of Southern Ohio have been leaders in the development of the game. Over the years, the Southern Ohio PGA has advanced the interests of the game and the amateur player through countless programs including junior golf, clinics, and competition.